Groups Mobilizing Against Pipelines and Related Infrastructure
Gas Drilling Awareness for Cortland County (GDACC) – GDACC’s site posts relevant news from a vast variety of sources on all aspects of industrial gas development.
Stop the Minisink Compression Station – Residents of Minisink, NY (in Orange County) are fighting the Millennium Pipeline Company, which in 2013 built a 12,260 horsepower gas compressor station in the middle of a residential area.
Stop the Pipeline – Information on the Constitution Pipeline, a 121-mi long major gas pipeline extending from northern Pennsylvania to Schoharie County, NY. This pipeline is further along in the permitting process. Website contains comments from state agencies and municipalities that have “intervened” in the process due to concerns about the environmental, economic, health and social impacts. Many links to resources are available on the site.
- Press Release 10/28/13: Response Team to Assist Landowners Confronted by Constitution Pipeline Survey Crews and Agents
- Video of FERC hearing 3/31/14
Rising tide Vermont – Information about a grassroots campaign to stop the Vermont Gas Pipeline through Chittenden and Addison Counties, VT.
SpectraBusters – SpectraBusters is a multi-state citizens’ organization opposing the Sabal Trail gas pipeline, proposed to run from Alabama to Florida.
Resistance to the Bluegrass NGL pipeline
- Company Halts Plans on 500-Mile Pipeline Through Kentucky, 4/29/14
- Bill to block Bluegrass Pipeline from using eminent domain is approved by Ky. House – article from kentucky.com 3/21/14
- Bluegrass Uprising – article from The Nation 12/18/13
- Bluegrass NGL Pipeline’s Eminent Domain Challenged in KY Court – article from Marcellus Drilling News 12/6/13
Resistance to Tennessee Gas Pipeline’s Northeast Upgrade Project
- Federal court faults regulators for not appraising full effect of Tennessee Gas pipeline project on N.J. Highlands – article from NorthJersey.com 6/7/14
- Federal appeals court sides with environmentalists against Tennessee Gas Pipeline, sends line back to regulators – article from NJ.com 6/6/14
Resistance to Tennessee Gas Pipeline Northeast Energy Direct Project
- Natural gas: Massachusetts is ground zero for Northeast’s pipeline fight, article from The Christian Science Monitor, 8/4/14
- Gas pipeline agents told ‘cease and desist’ in MA, article from Eagle-Tribune, 6/19/14
- Mass pipeline stirs hope and alarm, article from The Boston Globe, 6/9/14
- Gas Pipeline Co. Sends Warnings to Property Owners – article from The Recorder, 5/1/14, about Tennessee Gas Pipeline Company’s response to landowners resisting the company’s attempts to survey for a 179 mi pipeline between Wright, NY and Dracut, MA.
Environmental group tangles with pipeline company over property surveys at homes, The Star-Ledger, 8/31/14
Northern Gateway and private land: how to go head-to-head with big oil – CBC Radio, 6/19/14
Court blocks use of eminent domain on pipeline to pass through Lancaster County – article from Lancaster Online, 4/9/14, about Pennsylvania landowners arguing that Sunoco has no eminent domain powers for its Mariner East pipeline because the company is not a public utility.
South Buffalo denies XTO Energy request to build natural gas compressor station – Trib Total Media, 2/25/14
Opposition to NYSDEC’s proposed permitting program for Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) facilities – Video footage of 10/16/13 rally and press conference held before NYSDEC public information session in Syracuse, NY
Court: Federal laws supersede local zoning ordinances for proposed gas compressor station in Myersville – Frederick News-Post 10/9/13 Report on the struggle to prevent Dominion Transmission Inc. from building a gas compressor station in the Town of Myersville, MD.
Pipeline Company Moves Compressor Station After Belmont County Residents Protest – WRTF.com, 9/23/13 Report on how Spectra Energy Texas Eastern Pipeline responded to community pressure.
Millennium Pipeline Company, LLC – Millennium’s official website